Monday, February 6, 2012

Ways to Creativity, Monday, February 6

Margaret Peot, author of the kids' book Inkblot: Drip, Splat, and Squish Your Way to Creativity, might make a good picture book marathoner. She writes, "many people say that it is important to cultivate playfulness, and to do so regularly....When your body and mind get in the habit of being creative on a schedule, you are much less likely to be creatively blocked." Peot points to inkblots as a way to expand your creativity, pointing to Victor Hugo, who "used his drawings to inspire his written work." Enhance your writing this week with some inkblots of your own - take a peek at Peot's website to get started, or check out the book!
Have any ideas you'd like to share with your fellow marathoners? Post them in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I went to your store with the idea of buying a t-shirt or mug, but you only have 2011 stuff up. Any idea when the 2012 logo will be added to the store? Rebecca at Fyfe dot net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible I've tucked away 10 new drafts already? It is! Thank you, Lora and Jean! What I've learned so far: Don't look forward, and definitely don't look back. Whatever I'm working on today may eventually turn out to be a picture book, or a magazine story, or a poem, or a play. Or a heap o' junk. Doesn't matter. I'll worry about that some other time. Right now, I'll try to make what I'm working on as good as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit this thing is sorta kicking my butt. It's very, very hard to find the time to regularly write. I'm at 7 complete or partial drafts anyways, which ain't bad, so I'll take it. My wife told me the other day, "Hey, who knew? You're running a half-marathon!" Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two hopelessly false starts this morning, and a real urge to make this one of my days off, but then I suddenly found myself writing something I've never been able to do before -- a cumulative "House That Jack Built" tale. Where did that come from? I've started so many in the past and gotten nowhere. Maybe it takes an overheated brain? Fifteen down, only 11 to go! (Only 11, ha! Possibly I've gone mad -- but in a good way.)

    ReplyDelete